A lifelong love affair began then, one that would forever shape who I was and who I came to be. It may seem cliche, but really, The Beatles profoundly affected me during Jr. High and High School and their music pulled me through those formative years. Those who know me well know that they were central in forming the bond that I have with my best friend, Katie. If it weren't for The Beatles Anthology release, who knows what we would have talked about during warm-up laps! In fact, we are simultaneously publishing blogs on this subject, so check out Katie's, too, and see how they compare: Katie's Blog
Need more evidence? I made ceramics projects in Jr. High emblazoned with their name, covered many square feet of wall space in my room with Beatles paraphernalia, sewed Beatles patches on my backpack, owned nearly every album in CD form, and the list gets longer from there. Although I admit that the obsessive quality of my admiration has faded over the years, I know that my love for their music will never diminish. There is a song for every mood, every event, every day, every decade of my life.
That being said, here is my humble attempt at a top 10 list of my all-time favorite Beatles songs. I tried not to over-think or analyze my choices. I'm also not considering what songs are the greatest technical achievements or ground-breaking moments in music history. These are simply the ones that "speak to me." But seriously, narrowing it down to 10 is really a cruel injustice to all of the other songs I've listened to over and over during all these years, so take it with a grain of salt and know that I also love "Why don't we do it in the road?"
10. "I'm looking through you"
Catchy and angry. Everyone needs a perky break-up song. It's fun to sing when you're pissed off.
9. "A day in the life"
Epic. Haunting. Pensive.
8. "And I love her"
Timeless and sweet. I envision Jr. High dances in the 60s with this one. I think any woman would melt if she were lucky enough to be serenaded with the likes of this.
7. "Blackbird"
Poetic. All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive. If that doesn't inspire then I don't know what does.
6. "Hello, Goodbye"
Optimistic. Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye... you've got to admit: It's catchy.
5. "Julia"
Well, duh. And it's not just because of the obvious reason. I loved this song long before her and, in case you are wondering, she is not named for the song- it just happens to be an amazing song with her name as the subject. This song is almost mournful in its adoration of its subject. I think every woman wishes she were a Julia when she hears this song. If only there were a "Laura" equivalent. (Well, there is, and I guess I'll take it: Old Blue Eyes sings "Laura" )
4. "We can work it out"
The song that started it all. There was a reason why I was so affected by this song even at such a young age. Classic. They don't make 'em like they used to. The song that embodies, "Can't we all just get along?"
3. "Dear Prudence"
I file this in the same folder as "Ruby Tuesday." I like the vision created by this song. Notice that this is the third song representing The White Album on this list. I think that, based solely on this fact, I should say that this is my top Beatles album. Second? Abbey Road. Surprisingly, Abbey Road is not represented on this list and I believe it is because it really must be viewed in its entirety rather than as individual songs. Individually they are good; together they are great.
2. "In my life"
Nostalgia and romance. Make new friends and keep the old- one is silver and the other gold. Everyone else in my entire life pales when compared with you. Now that's making a statement. No better song could be used to pop the question.
1. "You've got to hide your love away"
Dare I say it? My number one Beatles song of all-time? Gritty and raw emotion define this song. Is it odd that I've chosen a bitter song as my favorite? Surely one of the more romantic ones should have filled this spot. It isn't even very long, but it leaves a lasting impression and perhaps this is why you see it here. We've all "been there" and this is the song that can get us through those times.
Near miss:
"You're gonna lose that girl"
Harmonious and rhythmic jukebox material. Watch out, buddy, he's coming after your woman.
Razzy Award: Laura's least favorite Beatles song Ever: "With a Little Help from my Friends." Seriously, Ringo, you can't sing. Thank you, Joe Cocker, for salvaging this one.
Well, there you have it, folks. Laura's Top 10 Beatles Songs of All Time. Ask me again in 10 years and it will probably change, but this will do for now. I'm curious how this list would have looked had I been 16 at the time of its composure, but on that point we can only speculate. Happy listening.
1 comment:
Your link to Frank Sinatra's Laura led me to download it and Buddy Clark's K-K-K-Katie. ;)
Post a Comment