Friday, November 11, 2011

Knock, knock...

Apparently someone is at home, and they're being very quiet. This is pregnancy blog no. 2. Hopefully you aren't burned out already, but I'll keep it brief.

First, I forgot how many times you get asked, "How are you feeling?" when you're expecting. Seriously? How am I feeling? I start to think that I'm an invalid. It's nice of them to ask, but I really have nothing to say right now. I think I'm in that sweet spot between the first trimester ickiness and the 3rd trimester torture. I'll try to enjoy it while it lasts. Even if I werent' feeling great, what am I going to do? Launch into the excitement of wearing a maternity support brace? Peeing all the time? WADDLING? Somehow, I don't think they want to hear it. The good thing is that I'm definitely past the point of "Is she just fat or is she pregnant?" It's nice to be out there a little more so hopefully there isn't any doubt to the passerby.

16 Weeks!

The only other question on everyone's lips, "So have you found out yet?" Answer: No. I'm at 16 weeks as of today and the ultrasound won't be until 20 or 22 as I recall. Whenever anyone asks how I'm feeling, I automatically segue into the gender discussion to head them off at the pass. Oh yeah, question number 3 is usually, "What are you hoping for?" Answer: A baby.

I took Julia swimming today and was reminded of the excitement that a maternity swimsuit can bring. I'm pretty sure that I look like a giant black monstrosity. Lets just say that it's less than flattering, but do I want to buy something else? Not really. Women who wear bikinis while pregnant make me want to throw up. What else makes me want to throw up? Women who don't get one stretch mark after blowing up like a giant balloon. Lets just say that bikinis are definitely NOT an option. Ever.

I also have been trying to combat the feeling that I should be doing something right now. Last time around I think I had already bought a bunch of baby clothes, was carefully researching cribs, and had started on a pregnancy journal. Well, I think I started to feel guilty so I did start a pregnancy/baby journal of sorts. It's actually a Golden book of Hansel and Gretel that was made into a blank book. Thank you, Powell's. I think it's sweet because it has both a little boy and girl on the front and includes the whole story before the blank pages begin.

Illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. Love it.

So far, I've recorded how we found out and things like that. I looked back at the pregnancy journal that I had done for Julia and found it very cute that my Mom had the exact same reaction with Julia as she did with this one: "Really?" Apparently, she is consistent! Shout out to amazing Mom and Grandma here.

Also looking forward to beginning the "Baby movie series" at movie night with Katie, Marla, and Marie! My fabulous friends concocted the ultimate list of baby movies and we are going to watch one a month up until April. Some of my favorites on the list? "She's Having a Baby" and "Father of the Bride 2."

In general, things are pretty good. Hope they're going well in your world, too. I'm super looking forward to a week off for Thanksgiving and then the whole Christmas season. I completely don't mind that some radio stations are already playing the Christmas music and that the stores are decked out already. I just bask in it. Dug out the Christmas book stash today (I seriously freaked out for about half an hour when I couldn't find where I had hidden them) and can't wait to decorate. I'll try to hold off until the day after Thanksgiving. Lets all just remember that Christmas doesn't come from a store. For me, it really isn't about the shopping (which I keep very minimal), but about the experiences. Zoolights, seeing THE tree, Macy's Santa Land, driving around to look at lights, the Christmas Pageant, Christmas movies, baking, etc. I think I might just have to buy baby a stocking.   
Zoolights 2010

    

No comments:

Post a Comment