I went in with the attitude that I was ready to take action and begin some sort of treatment for my thyroid a.s.a.p.. However, in discussing my blood tests, plans for conception, and symptoms, the game plan changed. Here's the deal: Apparently in my situation, there isn't a clear-cut, "right" course to take as far as treatment. According to Dr., my levels are still on the low end of high. My symptoms, although annoying, aren't as serious as they could be and, if monitored carefully, should be tolerable through a pregnancy- as in my last one.
In our lengthy discussion of my treatment options, Dr. made it clear that the choice was up to me regarding the path that I chose. He was leaning towards a course of antithyroid drugs (PTU) for a year and then see if my thyroid recovers its normal function. However, this would mean putting of pregnancy for a year and then seeing what happens- the end result of which very well might be staying on the drugs during pregnancy anyway. Another option, which I was seriously considering at one point, was to take radioactive iodine to damage the thyroid and then begin a course of thyroid hormone. This option, as with the last, would require me to put off pregnancy for a period of at least 6 months. Being a school teacher, I might as well wait another year. Surgery was never really on the table. No thanks.
I then brought up the option that he had said at the very beginning of the discussion: Do Nothing. I think this threw him for a loop, since here I was saying that I was ready to treat it and how soon can we start? Once he regained his bearings, he indicated that I could "Suck it up" (yes, these were his exact words- thank you, Dr. for being a somewhat normal person) and deal with my symptoms and then be monitored carefully during the pregnancy. If the levels were to spike dramatically, I would then take the antithyroid drugs... which might have been the outcome even had I elected to wait a year. Using medications during pregnancy comes with a risk, but, in this case, the risks appear to be small and the benefits would clearly outweigh them. Last time around my levels were "off" throughout the pregnancy, but were never to the point that would require intervention.
![]() |
| Why is this shirt man so hairy? Really? |
I'm feeling pretty good about my decision. Now to commence "Sucking it up." I think that one of the things that helps me is taking active steps to decrease my stress levels. I'm working on that in a variety of ways, and school is almost out. Hells yeah. Clearly that will help immensely. If I need to let some things slide until June 10th, that's okay. Floors not clean? Refer to the magnet on my fridge that states, "A clean house is the sign of a wasted life." The dry eyes are another annoyance and Dr. recommended simple eye drops. Hungry? I'll eat. I'm sticking to my "No Sugar" pact until July 2nd (my birthday party- hope you're coming!) as well. Also need to work on getting more sleep since that helps, too. Speaking of which, I'd better wrap this up.
I also feel better having "come out of the closet" with this thyroid issue. I feel like I've been hiding something from people who I'm not super close to, and I don't want to have that feeling anymore. Yes, I have some symptoms that I have to deal with. Yes, a lot of people have it much worse than I do and I'm feeling pretty grateful that my situation is this manageable. I also feel much better having a "game plan" and some sort of definitive course of action, even if this means doing nothing. I have a follow-up appointment in 6 weeks, at which time we will have the same conversation and see how things are going. In the meantime, I am Sucking it Up. Take that, thyroid!


No comments:
Post a Comment